Re Claims on Property

Claims on Property Article By: PracticeForte Advisory Affiliate Ong Ying Ping Q: If a married couple with no children were co-owners of an HDB flat and one spouse passes on, how should the family members of the deceased spouse go about laying claim to the flat against the surviving spouse? Can they even do that?A: That depends on whether the HDB flat was owned under joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common. Under joint tenancy, each co-owner’s share is undivided. Put another way, that owner’s share cannot be willed away. Thus, should one of the co-owners pass on, his/her interest in the flat would automatically be passed on to (lawyers call this “vested in”) the surviving co-owner. This is known as the right…

Comments Off on Re Claims on Property

Re HDB Ownership

HDB Ownership Article By: PracticeForte Advisory Affiliate Ong Ying Ping  Q: My parents and I are co-owners of a HDB flat under joint tenancy. We would like to change the holding type to tenancy-in-common, as well as increase my proportion of shares. Is this allowed? How do we go about it?A: Yes. If there are two or more co-owners or a HDB flat, you may change the holding type of your flat – either from joint tenancy to tenancy-in-common, or vice versa.Once you are holding the flat under tenancy-in-common, the proportion of shares held by each co-owner can be changed. This can be done without monetary consideration. In the re-distribution of proportion of shares, the total must add up to…

Comments Off on Re HDB Ownership
Close Menu